Toxic Spirituality

Toxic Spirituality

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. (Proverbs 4:23)

Signs of Toxic Spirituality

1. Service without Joy

Joy is the defining mark of our relationship with God.
I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. Therefore my heart is glad and my tongue rejoices; my body also will rest secure, because you will not abandon me to the realm of the dead, nor will you let your faithful one see decay. (Psalm 16)

2. Performance without Rest

The approval of God is more valuable than the praise of men. 
The only reason we are now being because it is the will of God. 
Do it because this is God's will.

Limelight is never pleasant for me.


Once you know it is God's will for you. 

Do your best because God deserves nothing less.

It's primary objective to get as more people as possible set to expire and go to heaven. It trains to take people into heaven, instead of getting joy into people - Dallas Willard.


The lives of the “converted” testify against the reality of “life that is life indeed”.

In this style, they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm base for the arriving age, so that they may get hold of life that is really life -1 Timothy 6:19.
The way to see many people into heaven is to bring joy into many people. It is to understand the path of true spiritual renewal for disciples doing something at full speed, racing with his optimal energy and momentum for Jesus. When we expect results, we should also remember the multitudes of people who will not be in heaven because they never saw the truth of Christ in a living human being.

3. Work without Worship

It is a common mistake that when people work for God, tendency is they miss worshiping God. We should never miss seeing the Grandeur of God. The redemption of Jesus is at the heart of worship. I can't think of working without worshiping. Because my God died for me and drew me in His life.

4. Devotion without Discipleship

Discipleship is Spiritual Discipline. Without discipline, we cannot grow.
In the spiritual life, there are no shortcuts. Those who believe that they can develop spiritual gimmicks and put them to work for themselves generally ignore God’s will and his grace - Thomas Merton.
Spiritual disciplines are actions of mind and body, done to make our whole selves into partnership with the divine order, so we can handle more and more a passion and ability beyond ourselves - Dallas Willard.
Spiritual Discipline is something to bring us into  a more effective collaboration with Christ and his Kingdom. These are actions taken that helps us to receive His life and power.

5. Ritual without Reality

The spiritual life is a life. It is not just something to be read. It is to be lived.
Surely God is faithful to Israel, to the pure. But as for me, my feet had almost slewed. I had almost lost my foothold. (Psalm 73:1-2)