Why should a Christian work



Why should a Christian work?

The Bible gives at least two reasons why Christians should work:

1. Christians should not be consumers.

We should work so that our families do not become a burden to the church.

If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever -1 Timothy 5:8.

Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not live unproductive lives - Titus 3:14.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody - 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

*Money is a limited resource. For anything that is limited we become either consumers or contributors.
*We work so that we do not illegitimately or inappropriately consume the resources of the church.
*The church should not be forced to help someone who is not in genuine need because in the future the church might be unable to help another who is in genuine need.
*We work so we will not consume the resources that ought to be directed towards those who are legitimately in need.

You remember, brothers and sisters, our efforts and hard work. We preached God’s good news to you, while we worked night and day so we wouldn't be a burden on any of you. - 1 Thessalonians 2:9.

Now I am ready to visit you for the third time, and I will not be a burden to you, because what I want is not your possessions but you. After all, children should not have to save up for their parents, but parents for their children - 2Corinthians 12:14.

2. Christians should work to become contributors of the church.

We should work so that we could contribute to the church. We are encouraged to work hard and help the needy.

I have not coveted anyone's silver or gold or clothing. You yourselves know that these hands of mine have supplied my own needs and the needs of my companions. In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive' - Acts 20:33-35.

Christians must work so to have something to give to the needy - Ephesians 4:28.

Paul Warns Those Who Do Not Want to Work 

Brothers and sisters, here is a command we give you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Keep away from every believer who doesn't want to work. Keep away from anyone who doesn't live up to the teaching you received from us.

You know how you should follow our example. We worked when we were with you. We didn't eat anyone's food without paying for it. In fact, it was just the opposite. We worked night and day. We worked very hard so that we wouldn't cause any expense to any of you.

We worked, even though we have the right to receive help from you. We did it in order to be a model for you to follow. Even when we were with you, we gave you a rule. We said, "Anyone who will not work will not eat."

We hear that some people among you don't want to work. They aren't really busy. Instead, they are bothering others. We belong to the Lord Jesus Christ. So we strongly command people like that to settle down. They have to earn the food they eat.

Brothers and sisters, don't ever get tired of doing the right thing.

Keep an eye on anyone who doesn't obey the directions in our letter. Watch that person closely. Have nothing to do with him. Then he will feel ashamed. But don't think of him as an enemy. Instead, warn him as a brother or sister.


Paul prides himself in his hard work. 

Paul was a tent maker -Acts 18:1-3.

Paul spoke frequently how this labor morning and night was a blessing to God’s church.

We work hard with our own hands - 1 Corinthians 4:12.

But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me, for I would rather die than allow anyone to deprive me of this boast. For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach.Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me. What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make full use of my rights as a preacher of the gospel - 1 Corinthians 9:13-18.

In beatings, imprisonments and riots; in hard work, sleepless nights and hunger - 2 Corinthians 6:5.

Are they servants of Christ? (I am out of my mind to talk like this.) I am more. I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again - 2 Corinthians 11:23.