Christian leadership is a leadership that exemplifies Jesus Christ.
"I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep" John 10:11
This is the perfect description of a Christian leader.
A Christian leader acts as a shepherd to the “sheep” in his care.Sheep are among the dumbest animals in creation. Hence, the most helpless of all creatures.
They are incapable of warding off hungry predators.
They drown on flash floods despite sight of accessible higher ground.
A sheep without a shepherd is helpless. And that is what we are all like.
|A Sheperd's Role is to Lead, Feed, Nurture, Comfort, Correct and Protect.|
- Be a good role model of godliness and righteousness in your own life and encourage others to follow.
- A Christian leader is one who follows Christ and inspires others to follow Him as well.
- A Christian leader nourishes his flock.
- The Word of God is the only food that can produce healthy Christians.
- Feed and nourish the sheep with the Word of God.
“Man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD” (Deuteronomy 8:3).
- Comfort the sheep, Bind up their wounds and Apply the balm of compassion and love.
“bind up the injured and strengthen the weak” (Ezekiel 34:16).
- Christians today, suffer many spiritual injuries. Christians need compassionate leaders who will help bear burdens.
- Christian leaders sympathize with circumstances and exhibit patience, encourage in the Word, and bring concerns before God.
- A Christian leader exhibit love by correcting or disciplining those under his care, even when it is an unpleasant experience.
- Correct and Discipline those in care when they go astray.
- A Christian leader should correct according to Biblical principles.
Without an overbearing spirit, but with a “spirit of gentleness” (Galatians 6:2)
- A Correction or discipline is never a pleasant experience, but a Christian leader who fails in this area is not exhibiting love for those in his care.
“The LORD disciplines those he loves” (Proverbs 3:12).
- A Christian leader protects their people from false teachings of those who would lead them astray from the truth of the Scripture. Christ alone is the way of salvation:
- Predators are those who try to lure the sheep away with false doctrine, dismissing the Bible as quaint and old fashioned, insufficient, unclear, or unknowable.
Under the plan God has ordained for the church, Leadership is a position of humble, loving service.
Those whom God designates as leaders are called not to be governing monarchs, but humble slaves;
not slick celebrities, but laboring servants.
Those who would lead God's people must above all exemplify:
- submission, and
If the Lord of the universe would do that, no church leader has a right to think of himself as a bigwig.”
Wanted: A Few Good Shepherds (Must Know How to Wash Feet) by John MacArthur